We are pleased to provide online narrated modules of our popular live Welcome to Medicare class that we normally hold every month at venues around the County. We’ve broken the two-hour class into six separate modules, for your convenience.
Each module is designed to stand alone. Feel free to view them all, or just the ones you’re interested in. You can view them on any type of computer or tablet, with any browser. When you click on a link it will open in a browser-window and will play like a video.
The modules all have narration, so make sure your device’s audio function and speakers are on and the volume is turned to the proper level. Once you see the a black box, hit the “play” button at the bottom. The narration should start automatically. (The modules may take 20 to 40 seconds to load before you see the “play” button.) You can hit pause at any time, and use the slider to move back and forth through the video. Just to the right of the play/pause button you will see 2 arrows. Use that button to extend the video to your full screen.
If you’d like to download or print the slides for future reference, click on the link by each module for a printable PDF of that module with four slides per page. (Requires Acrobat Reader)
We need your input!
After you have viewed this course material, please leave comments in this form. Your input will help us improve this material.
- Overview of Medicare coverage—A, B, C and D
- Who can enroll; when and how to enroll
- Who can safely defer enrolling
Duration: 14 minutes
Download a PDF file of Module 1 slides (4 slides per page)
Module 2: Medicare coverage
- The two paths for receiving Medicare coverage
- Medicare Part A—coverages and cost
- Medicare Part B—coverages and cost
- What Medicare doesn’t cover
Duration: 15 minutes
Download a PDF file of Module 2 slides (4 slides per page)
- Medicare supplement (Medigap) policies: how they work, when to enroll, what are your options
- Part D prescription drug coverage: how it works, when to enroll, what are your options, how to choose
Duration: 23 minutes
Download a PDF file of Module 3 slides (4 slides per page)
- Which path to choose—Original Medicare or Medicare Advantage
- How Medicare Advantage plans work, when to enroll, what are your options
- How to compare and decide: Medigap vs. Medicare Advantage
- When can you change the coverage?
Duration: 15 minutes
Download a PDF file of Module 4 slides (4 slides per page)
Module 5: Medicare and other coverage
Reviews whether and how other coverage you have will coordinate with Medicare.
- Covered CA and MAGI Medi-Cal – (at minute 1:45)
- small employer coverage – (at minute 7:19)
- retiree plans (employer or union) – (at minute 10:19)
- COBRA – (at minute 12:36)
- Federal Employee Retiree Health Benefits – (at minute 16:00)
- Tricare for Life – (at minute 17:31)
- VA benefits – (at minute 18:19)
Duration: 21 minutes total
Download a PDF file of Module 5 slides (4 slides per page)
Module 6: Low Income Programs
- Extra Help and LIS (Low Income Subsidy) – (at minute 1:48)
- Medicare Savings Programs – (at minute 6:12)
- 3 Medi-Cal Programs: Overview – (at minute 11:05)
- MAGI Medi-Cal – (at minute 12:15)
- Aged and Disabled Medi-Cal – (at minute 15:05)
- Working Disabled Program – (at minute 22:00)
- Resources and Phone Numbers – (at minute 28:45)
Duration: 29 minutes total
Download a PDF file of Module 6 slides (4 slides per page)